Monday, February 25, 2013

Breath holding in the snow...while listening to Josh Garrels

While we got our first snow a couple of weeks ago here in Wilmington, I was busy holding my breath...not for snow, but for my Waterman Survival Certification with FII and In-Sea! With my instructors Ryan McInnis and Alex Llinas (Who also just trained Garrett McNamara for his 100' ride), I ramped up my in water safety and comfort skills ten-fold. It was such a great class that I plan on heading down to Florida in April to finish the Extended version of the class...I heard something about being tied to a brick and dropped to the bottom blind folded. Should be awesome!!
Head of the class...sort of...
Awesome instructors + photo bombing
Getting towed in...
Just keep swimming...and Don't Panic!

Unfortunately while I was under water Wilmington got the only snow we've seen in two years. Since I missed it, I decided to head for the mountains. I got to do a snowboarding with some good friends for my birthday...It's been a few years, but I managed to find some powder in the woods, and hit some boxes in the park. It was amazing how simlar it was to riding an alaia! Same rails, same outline, same feeling and body movement...only freezing cold. Thanks to Smith Optics and Helmets my face and head stayed protected. Unfortunately my ankle wasn't...ugghhh. Last run, last jump...sprained. A little rest and I should be good by next week. We also convinced my friend Josh to go down in his trunks...He got cold...wait til you see it in 120fps!!
Like riding an Alaia...in the snow
 
It's like laying at the bottom of the ocean...but frozen... 
Cold!

And all this was iced off by an awesome performance in Raleigh by my friend Josh Garrels and Mason Jar Music crew. Maybe one of the best nights of music ever!







No comments:

Post a Comment